At Neutral Bay Physiotherapy, our pelvic floor physiotherapists are trained to treat conditions affecting men. We understand that these issues are often very personal, and our physiotherapists pride themselves on taking a very caring and empathetic treatment approach.
Common conditions we treat include:
- Prostate related functional changes to the urinary system
- Prostate surgery or radiation related incontinence, erectile dysfunction, penile shrinkage and penile rehabilitation
- Urinary incontinence, urgency and/or frequency
- Incontinence of wind and/or bowel motions
- Defecation pain
- Constipation and/or difficulty passing bowel motions
- Pudendal nerve entrapment resulting in testicular and/or penile pain
Examinations typically involve non-invasive real time ultrasound imaging across the perineum. Less commonly, a digital rectal examination may be recommended with your consent.
As incontinence and penile dysfunction are an expected complication of prostate surgery/radiation therapy, we recommend a consultation 6 weeks prior to your planned intervention. In some cases, this is not possible due to the serious nature of prostate cancer. In these cases, we recommend an appointment as soon as your specialist allows after intervention.
We understand that these sensitive issues are difficult to discuss, but encourage you to seek treatment as soon as possible to regain your quality of life.